commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <j...@wendysmoak.com>
Subject Re: [digester] Problem building javadoc w/ Ant on Windows
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:06:41 GMT
From: "simon" <simon.kitching@xtra.co.nz>
> It does seem
> weird that this doesn't work on Windows, as the xml spec is *very* clear
> about the fact that xml attributes can be quoted using '...' or "...",
> so having a simple testcase that shows the problem would reassure me
> that the problem really is what we think it is..

We're talking about this section of build.xml:

                 bottom='Copyright (c) 2001-2004 - Apache Software
Foundation &lt;!--
   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.
                 --&gt;'>

First, without the quotes around "AS IS", the generated HTML source has only
one line for me when viewed with FireFox and IE, so all the white space and
formatting doesn't seem useful.  The quotes around the word "License" do not
cause a problem, *but* they do not make it into the generated HTML either.

Can someone build the docs with Linux and confirm that the formatting and
the quotes around "License" and "AS IS" actually make it into the generated
HTML?  Because if not, the quotes can be removed from build.xml without
affecting the output.

Given that this build.xml isn't actually used to build the documentation
that goes on the website, and that the HTML comment that's causing the
problem doesn't even appear in the current Javadoc (such as
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/apidocs/org/apache/commons/digester/Digester.html
)
how important are those quotes?

Attempting to fix the problem, once I get rid of the quotes around "AS IS"
then I start getting these warnings:
  [javadoc] Constructing Javadoc information...
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org.apache.commons.digester"
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org.apache.commons.digester.parser"
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org.apache.commons.digester.plugins"
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org.apache.commons.digester.plugins.strategies"
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org.apache.commons.digester.substitution"
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org.apache.commons.digester.xmlrules"
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org.apache.commons"
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org.apache"
  [javadoc] javadoc: warning - Multiple sources of package comments found
for package "org"
  [javadoc] Standard Doclet version 1.5.0_01

I have no idea what it's talking about.

> Ok, so can this be fixed by escaping the quotes in the problem text, eg
> using &quot;?

Using &quot;AS IS&quot; doesn't work, I get the same error as with the
original "AS IS".

Chalk this one up to annoying but easily fixable.  Other than deleting the
quotes around "AS IS" (which might annoy the lawyer types) I don't see what
else to do with it.

--
Wendy Smoak