commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: [proposal] avoiding jar version nightmares
Date Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:38:16 GMT
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:16:49 +0100, Daniel Florey <daniel.florey@web.de> wrote:

> This would be really a funny thing, but how could we replace the classloader
> of a given application with a custom one?
> But what about a tool that decompiles all the product jars, changes the
> package structure and the import statements and repacks this into a new jar?
> ;-)
> Might be a megaseller...

Unfortunately, even such a tool (of which there are some around) will
only solve part of the problem.  Consider a package like Digester,
which loads objects based on names in your rules (rather than
importing them directly).  Unless your rename process also fixed all
your Digester configurations, you'd break the application using it.

The same issue happens with pretty much any application that uses
ClassLoader.loadClass() directly -- and that covers a surprisingly
large amount of very useful code.

> Daniel

Craig