commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: [CONFIGURATION] ClassPropertiesConfiguration
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:30:59 GMT
Emmanuel Bourg <smanux@lfjr.net> writes:

>Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

>> with this class gone from the 1.0 release; how am I supposed to load a
>> file from the classpath? just use new PropertiesConfiguration(file)
>> and hope that ConfigurationUtils.locate() doesn't match another file
>> by accident?

>Hi, yes that's the purpose of the locate() method. Alternatively you can
>provide your own URL if you want to be sure the right file is selected.

>Regarding the locate() method I hesitated to implement a more generic
>design but I didn't want to start with an over designed solution. The
>idea was to introduce a Locator interface, a Locator implements a
>strategy for finding a resource:

>public interface Locator {
>     URL locate(String basepath, String filename);
>}

I don't think, this is overengineered. Are you sure about URL locate?
I'd probably go for InputStream locate().

>Then we would have a ClassPathLocator, a HomeDirectoryLocator, a
>ChainedLocator, etc... A default locator would be provided but could be
>overridden, thus you could implement your customized strategy.

Hm. I probably would like this solution better than the current (which
reminds me of the way that commons-logging tries to find its log
APIs). We could use current as the default and make the others
pluggable. (and add a few C'tors which accept a Locator object)

	Regards
		Henning

What is more important to you...
   [ ] Product Security