commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <>
Subject Re: [chain] add expression evaluation?
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:00:37 GMT
At 11:51 AM -0500 12/4/04, Sean Schofield wrote:
>The velocity engine did everything for you.  If your text did not have
>velocity markup in it, no harm done, it just ignores it.  Maybe we
>could use something like this.  Also, VelocityContext really just
>wraps a HashMap, so it might be possible to take advantage of the
>chain's Context object.

Jexl essentially achieves the same thing with less other overhead --
it doesn't need any support for looking up templates on the
filesystem or in the classpath because you are using it in a context
where you expect to have the "template" (i.e. expression) as a String
already.  For what it's worth, the Jexl 1.0 jar file is about a third
of the size of the velocity 1.4 jar.

If we were to use something more heavyweight, I'd probably prefer a
proper scripting language to velocity, along the lines of David's
suggestion of Rhino.

I applied Jexl to a project at work yesterday and I was again pleased
with its simplicity.  When I have time, I'll develop a working
example for people to check out.

PS See
Joe Germuska

To unsubscribe, e-mail: