commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:10:34 GMT
Richard Sitze wrote:

> As a real example, the axis community uses globalized messages.

A lot of products do, as I see on a regular basis, so I definitely support
your interest in this feature.

However, I view logging as separate from content generation.  I'd like to
see the mechanism pluggable.  That could be done by providing a message
factory to the logging layer, so that it does the lookup rather than your
example:

> log.error(Message.getMessage("MSGID", new String { arg1, ..., argN }));

Doing so would still permit your facade:

  log.error(this.getClass(), "thisMethodName", "MSGID", new String {...});

but the factory that the logger uses to construct the message would be
pluggable and distinct from the role of bridging to an underlying log
mechanism.

And I'd like to see a Java 5 versiion of this interface that takes advantage
of variable argument lists, rather than the String[].

	--- Noel