commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Florey" <daniel.flo...@web.de>
Subject AW: [proposal] avoiding jar version nightmares
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:09:54 GMT
In the project that I've been working on, I had to put together some
subprojects into the same ear. As these subprojects interact directly, they
needed to share the same classloader.
They used different versions of httpclient, collections and jdom (this one
caused the most trouble...) and it was hard to figure out, which versions of
each component was in use and how to decompile and refactor the subprojects
to work with the same jars.
As commons components gain more and more attention, more and more commercial
products are using them. It's very common for enterprise applications that
you have to bundle different commercial packages that are not available in
source code. These packages often allow interaction with other packages by
adding some listeners, so it is not possible to deploy them in different
webapps/cassloaders.
So I think we need a solution for this problem. My proposal would be to
allow different major versions of commons components to coexist. If the
class and package names are equal, this is not possible. My package-version
proposal is just one idea to enable this.

Cheers,
Daniel