commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:44:47 GMT
On 11 Dec 2004, at 02:24, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> It disturbs me that what seems to me to be a reasonable and small set
> of
> requirements --- along with what appears to have been considerable
> forethought based upon real world issues, and experiences supporting
> many
> developers --- appears to be discounted a bit too out of hand.  I hope
> my
> perception is wrong.
>
> Does anyone really dispute the requirement to support localization for
> log
> messages or the additional JSR-mandated logging requirements?  If not,
> then
> let's work constructively towards satisfying the requirements.  And
> not by
> relying upon some IDE's tooling.

IMHO given the amount of grief that the commons-logging team (richard
included) has suffered over the years, i'm glad that we're actually
discussing the issues before launching code on unsuspecting millions.
i'd much rather that people speak up and voice their concerns now when
we can actually acknowledge them and (at the very least) document
reasons for rejecting.

we've been stuck for a number of years with a flawed API. with more
discussion, it might have been possible to fix them at the start. i'd
hope that we (as a community) have learnt from that (bitter) experience
and would be a little more willing to encourage a full and frank
discussion.

- robert