commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:07:23 GMT
Enter and exit should not be defined as severities.  This is useful information, but orthogonal
to a logging event's severity attribute.

One way to provide entry/exit information is to overload the logger methods to take a map,
and require the user to adhere to use-case specific conventions for keys and values.

For example, to track entry and exit as we cross component boundaries, these entries might
be sufficient to identify an event:

Key Name         Value
-------------------------
boundary.type     component
boundary.state    entry

Similarly, to track entry and exit as we cross class boundaries:

Key Name         Value
boundary.type     class
boundary.state    exit

This provides a general mechanism for extending what information an event provides - without
codifying use-case specific attributes as methods in commons-logging.

Again, the user would be responsible for conforming to naming conventions for the map entries
(possibly with the aid of helper methods to build the map) in order to discover these use-case
specific events.