commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject RE: [all] Including license files (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math project.xml)
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:46:31 GMT
Apologies to all if my reply to Martin's post sent earlier this AM eventually arrives, but
there is a wrinkle that I need to mention regarding the commit below.  While this does work
for maven;  unfortunately the build.xml generated by maven's ant goal does not include script
to add LICENSE.txt.  If I add an include for LICENSE.txt below, it generates a good build.xml,
but causes maven's jar goal to add two copies of LICENSE.txt (with different dates).   So,
for now at least, the build.xml that I committed last night for [math] does not correspond
to what maven generates (I added LICENSE.txt manually).  I posted a query on this to the maven
user list.

-Phil

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Mark R. Diggory [mailto:mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu]
	Sent: Mon 12/13/2004 11:26 AM
	To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
	Subject: Re: [all] Including license files (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math project.xml)

	Martin Cooper wrote:
	 > Um, a quick grep tells me that Attributes, Chain and Resources all have:
	 >
	 >   <extend>../commons-build/project.xml</extend>

	Thats incorrect for resources, in the cvs it doesn't extend:

	http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/resources/project.xml?r1=1.18&r2=1.19&diff_format=h

	I thought I removed those from Attributes and Chain too, I must not have
	committed them. Everything is on my machine at home, I'll make sure they
	get in later today once I get there.

	> and around 30 components in the Sandbox have the Sandbox equivalent.
	> So many components are in fact still doing that. If they're not
	> supposed to, what changes do we need to make to their project.xml
	> files?

	They shouldn't be extending if possible. This change would be good to do
	to all of them, it also means that some site information needs to be
	present in the project.xml "template" and placed into all those project
	xmls in the sandbox too.

	http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/resources/project.xml?r1=1.18&r2=1.19&diff_format=h

	is a good example of that content.

	I know it is a replication of content to place this in all project.xml
	files, but its really not much information, and it can already be
	overiden by each component.

	On a side note, I think we are abusing the gumpRepository ID by making
	it "jakarta" for all the components.
	<gumpRepositoryId>jakarta</gumpRepositoryId>

	We really can't rely on pom inheritance because it creates headaches
	when building the distributions. It much easier if every component only
	has dependencies required for compilation, not for generation of
	documentation.

	-Mark

	> TIA.
	>
	> --
	> Martin Cooper
	>
	>
	> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:42:22 -0500, Mark R. Diggory
	> <mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
	>
	>>There actually isn't an extend. All projects are dependent only on
	>>commons-site.jsl and the menu includes. There actually isn't any
	>>inheritance of the project.xml because there were issues with users
	>>building distributions with maven when the dependency (commons-build)
	>>wasn't present there.
	>>
	>>-Mark
	>>
	>>
	>>
	>>Martin Cooper wrote:
	>>
	>>
	>>>Since every component needs to do this, would it work to add this to
	>>>commons-build/project.xml, so that it's included as part of the
	>>><extend>?
	>>>
	>>>--
	>>>Martin Cooper

	Mark Diggory