commons-dev mailing list archives

From Max Rudman <mrud...@steelbrick.com>
Subject Re: Commons Mapper: scope/roadmap?
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:50:08 GMT

> Specifically, I'm not exactly planning on a Query-by-Example API, but
> rather a dynamic SQL statement builder API (also insert, update,
> delete, etc.).  I run into this problem all the time where the user is
> specifying what they'd like to search for, and so you need to build a
> SQL statement on-the-fly.

Yes, dynamic SQL/OQL generation is exactly what I am talking about.
Perhaps I chose Query-By-Example terminology poorly in that it's not
QBE itself but rather the API that enables QBE-type functionality.

> If you're curious, take a look at the DynamicSqlSelectStatment
> interface.

I looked at your code (DynamicSqlSelectStatement) and it looks very
much like something I had built (I call it QueryBuilder). Do you plan
support for functions, GROUP BY and ORDER BY clauses? You might have
that in the rest of your API as I didn't look thoroughly.

> Let me know if you have any comments, questions, etc!

So, are you planning a persistence (O/R mapping) layer like Apache
ObjectBridge and Hibernate or an abstraction API like Mapper?

Max