commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: commons-logging auto-detection WAS: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:49:45 GMT
At 03:05 AM 12/27/2004, Charles Daniels wrote:

>If I understand the JCL discovery mechanism correctly, it actually
>should work just fine in the scenario you describe above.  For it to
>work, you would not set the org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory system
>property, because, as you pointed out, system properties are JVM-wide.
>Rather, for individual applications to use distinct underlying logging
>implementations, you can simply place a commons-logging.properties file
>in each application context (in WEB-INF/classes), setting the
>org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory property as appropriate in each
>distinct commons-logging.properties file.  Since these properties files
>will be loaded via distinct context class loaders, each application can
>use distinct logging implementations.

Good point. This will require some understanding by the user about the
classloader delegation mechanism used by the app server, which varies
from vendor to vendor or even from version to version of an app server
by the same vendor.  Nevertheless, I stand corrected.

--
Ceki Gülcü

   The complete log4j manual: http://qos.ch/log4j/