commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:05:35 GMT
At 10:31 PM 12/20/2004, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>IIRC we're never really gone for official consultations here at apache (or
>at least the bits i've been involved with): too much committee, too little
>community. i alerted ceki (who i've know and respected for too many years
>even though we don't always agree) soon after i discovered this thread and
>hoped that other interested folks from the logging project.
>
>jakarta commons has a slightly different focus and expertise. we're more
>interested in bricks (small, compact reusable components with minimal
>dependencies) than logging systems. the extensions proposed by richard
>would allow components with enhanced logging requirements (such as
>i18nable messages) to be added to the commons.
>
>so, in many ways it doesn't matter whether existing logging systems offer
>these capabilities or not: what matters is whether there is a need for
>this kind of enhanced logging for the kind of bricks built by the jakarta
>commons. it's good people that logging experts have shown up to the party
>but (so long as a need for this exists), the party would have happened anyway.

Official consultations at Apache might be a drag, but the last time I
checked, Jakarta Commons was part of the Apache Software Foundation. It
might not be a concern to this group, but keep in mind that the ASF
frowns upon mission-creep.

No doubt that your party would have happened without the participation
of LS. Unfortunately, LS often gets stuck cleaning up after your party
ends.

--
Ceki Gülcü, Chairman of Apache Logging Services