commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: Distributions to include dependencies?
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:09:01 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:14:36 -0500, Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
>
>>Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>>>Not a huge issue for things like Lang which have no dependencies, but
>>>for other things like Digester I think it would be a lot better if the
>>>binary tar.gz contained the jars it depends on?
>>
>>Just my HO, but to me that defeats the purpose of
>>ibiblio/java-repository.  It also bloats distros and adds to the
>>effective contract of the distro and responsibility of the RM needlessly
>>(Would doing this effectively require us to store whatever jars were
>>grabbed at release time in cvs/svn?)
>

> Nope. The jars come from the ibiblio/java-repo at dist-time.

That's what I mean.  The release would depend on jars grabbed from
external sources at dist-time.  Some would argue that everything
necessary to generate the release distribution should be under revision
control, so the exact contents of the release could be reproduced (or
verified) at a later time by checking out the tagged sources and
rebuilding.

> A maven user would still use it in the same way, but maven users do
> not use the tar.gz distributions, they use the jars in the repos.
>

>>I may be in the minority here, but I have never liked the "bundle all
>>dependencies for convenience" approach -- either as a user or as a
>>developer.  As a user, I am never sure exactly what I am getting "in the
>>bundled version"  <cut>
>

> dependencies/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
> dependencies/commons-beanutils-1.7.jar
>

>><cut> I understand that for complex products like
>>  struts or tomcat, it may be impractical *not* to bundle dependencies;
>>but I do not see it as necessary for commons components.
>

> If I download the digester.tar.gz, I then need to download the
> logging.tar.gz and the beanutils.tar.gz.

Personally, I do not see this as a big deal.  Our mirrors are fast :-)
Maven handles it all seamlessly and for ant builds or web app
deployments, you generally want to place the jars manually anyway.

Phil