commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: Distributions to include dependencies?
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:14:36 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Not a huge issue for things like Lang which have no dependencies, but
> for other things like Digester I think it would be a lot better if the
> binary tar.gz contained the jars it depends on?

Just my HO, but to me that defeats the purpose of
ibiblio/java-repository.  It also bloats distros and adds to the
effective contract of the distro and responsibility of the RM needlessly
(Would doing this effectively require us to store whatever jars were
grabbed at release time in cvs/svn?)  This is what maven or Ant get-deps
tasks are supposed to do for us. Also, if maven (or Ant) users wanted to
use the bundled jars, they would still have to kludge the local repo to
place the jars if we bundled them. For maven users, at least, this would
be more hassle than just letting maven grab the jars.

I may be in the minority here, but I have never liked the "bundle all
dependencies for convenience" approach -- either as a user or as a
developer.  As a user, I am never sure exactly what I am getting "in the
bundled version" and as a developer, I want to limit dependencies to
versioned release binaries available from definitive locations (now de
facto ibiblio for many things -- we need to sort out how exactly apache
jars are maintained there).  I understand that for complex products like
  struts or tomcat, it may be impractical *not* to bundle dependencies;
but I do not see it as necessary for commons components.

Phil