commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Commons IO thing I submitted
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 04:04:11 GMT
I think your confusing the commons IO submission with the Struts
SessionObject submission, but no big deal, I know which your talking
about :)

My thoughts are this... if an object could ever be put in session, it
should be serializable unless you have a real good reason not to.  The
reson is that since most (all?) session replication implementations in a
distributed environment depend on objects being serializable, even if
I'm not now working in a distributed environment it'll just save me
hassle down the road to know I can play in such an environment.  If your
classes aren't ever stored in session, it's probably not a concern, but
then again, why not be sure it COULD be used in session?  So, for me, I
always look to make my classes serializable, regardless of how they will
be used.  Sometimes it may not be possible, but I try.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Dakota Jack wrote:
> Good work!  And, settle down!  ;-)  LOL  More directly, I understand
> why, of course, the restriction on serializable is there, but it
> really cramps how I could use this.  My work is generally not J2EE,
> even though everything is called "J2EE" now, so I have a lot of
> classes that are not serializable.  I need to think through carefully
> whether or not I should be paying more attention to that.  Any
> thoughts on this?
>
> Jack
>

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:57:24 -0800 (PST), fzlists@omnytex.com
> <fzlists@omnytex.com> wrote:
>
>>I know it's the holidays and all, but it's been a couple of days and I haven't seen
any comments on the GetFreeSpace thing I posted here.  Anyone?  Is it useful?  Already done
somewhere?  A steaming pile of crap?  Thanks!