commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [jelly] commons-jelly-SNAPSHOT.jar on ibilio is old ?
Date Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:06:00 GMT

Brett Porter wrote:
> (continuing the trend of answering two messages in one :)
>

>>Sigh, we really suffer with this misnomer over and over again. In Maven
>>"SNAPSHOT" is just a reference to the latest version of an artifact. So,
>>yes, "SNAPSHOT's" are allowed in the ASF repository. What are not
>>allowed are daily or interim builds (which are what people are mistaking
>>"SNAPSHOT" to mean, these go into the developer repo at
>>cvs.apache.org/repository
>

> At the moment, a SNAPSHOT link is not updated for releases generally, so I think
> it is safer to not keep them in the ASF repository to avoid confusion.
> Generally, if you are only interested in releases you will specify the actual
> release name. If you are interested in SNAPSHOTs, you'll be interested in
> something newer than the last release.

Your right, SNAPSHOT related activity is very much a developer thing,
projects that have this project as a dependency will be dependent on
official versions. So the repository could easily get away without
SNAPSHOT files.

>>Yes, old snapshots are a problem, jelly releasing versions should be
>>kept up with the Maven versions, It makes sense that when a release of
>>maven occurs it should use the published versions of its dependencies.
>

> I assume this is now referring to Maven 1.0 using a timestamped version of
> Jelly? We might as well rename that timestamp beta-X as it became semi official
> by our use. However, the latest beta of Jelly at the time was not working with
> Maven and not worth the risk to include, and the prior beta was much older.
>
> Maven's HEAD now uses Jelly beta-4 and will use 1.0 when it is out. Most if not
> all of the snapshot dependencies have been removed.

This really sounds to me like Jelly needs a more aggressive release
schedule, way too many "betas". I suspect many of these betas could have
been versions in their own right. Just cut the release and get some
official verisoning going. I feel Math suffered this as well, but Math
finally made a release thanks primarily to Phil (salute!).

>>I suspect that this makes sense for gump as long as interim releases are
>>only being used by gump and not by releases. If the Maven build is
>>dependent on an interim release of jelly and it does a release,
>>shouldn't jelly do a release as well to make sure that the appropriate
>>version is used in the release.
>

> I think this is unlikely to happen again, but yes - Maven now being up to date
> with Jelly's CVS would push for a release if dependant on any interim release.
>
> - Brett

Hear Hear.

-Mark
--