commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [jelly] commons-jelly-SNAPSHOT.jar on ibilio is old ?
Date Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:34:59 GMT

Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Le 19 déc. 04, à 00:25, Brett Porter a écrit :
>
>> SNAPSHOT actually shouldn't be there. As far as the ASF repo goes, it
>> has been recommended to use http://cvs.apache.org/repository for
>> SNAPSHOTs and http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/ for
>> releases  (Which is mirrored to ibiblio).

Sigh, we really suffer with this misnomer over and over again. In Maven
"SNAPSHOT" is just a reference to the latest version of an artifact. So,
yes, "SNAPSHOT's" are allowed in the ASF repository. What are not
allowed are daily or interim builds (which are what people are mistaking
"SNAPSHOT" to mean, these go into the developer repo at
cvs.apache.org/repository

commons-jelly-SNAPSHOT.jar is fine in ASF repo as long as it points at
an official release.

> I see no recent snapshots there.
> Do I understand, however, that this is the way to go in the future ?
> I'm a bit surprised but maybe I have skipped reading something.
>
>> As far as Maven goes, we are discussing actually codifying separate
>> repositories for snapshots and releases, but haven't resolved it
>> completely yet. Of course, you are able to do this by picking the
>> appropriate properties depending on the release type, eg:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk/plugin-
>> parent/project.properties?rev=116299&view=markup
>> then run
>> maven -Dmaven.repo.list=apachecvs jar:deploy-snapshot
>> for example.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

>> As far as correcting it on ibiblio - it can be updated by dropping it
>> into java-repository, or a decision made to remove it. I'm not sure
>> if  deletes are propogated - if not, then we can help you out -
>> probably  best to make a "MAVENUPLOAD" JIRA request.

this should work appropriately, it can be a symlink or an actual copy of
the most recent.

> Well, I'm worried about others receiving jelly, having downloaded
> maven... trying to build and run a demo (say "maven demo:swing" in
> jelly/jelly-tags/swing)... and getting something as bad as a missing
> method because the snapshot was downloaded from ibiblio and is deadly  old.

Yes, old snapshots are a problem, jelly releasing versions should be
kept up with the Maven versions, It makes sense that when a release of
maven occurs it should use the published versions of its dependencies.
Thus it shouldn't be using any interim or daily builds of Jelly, just a
full release.

> For things to run smoothly, then, we need to change maven.repo.remote
> in project.properties (for example in jelly-swing's project.properties)
> after having made sure that the gump nightly goes on this snapshot.
>
> Is this correct ?

I suspect that this makes sense for gump as long as interim releases are
only being used by gump and not by releases. If the Maven build is
dependent on an interim release of jelly and it does a release,
shouldn't jelly do a release as well to make sure that the appropriate
version is used in the release.

-Mark
--
Mark Diggory