commons-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Lambrou <m...@chrislambrou.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:32:28 GMT

>Someone suggested that for Log, it would be appropriate to make it an
>abstract class rather than an interface, so we can make these kinds of
>changes easier in the future.  I think the risks for this are low, and
>probably better [less problems for the majority of users] than just adding
>new methods to the existing interface.  Other thoughts on this direction?

I think the risk of annoying quite a number of users by changing Log
from an interface to an abstract class is actually quite high. For sure,
one of the default logging implementations provided by JCL would
probably suffice for the majority. However, there are groups who will
have chosen, for whatever reason, to provide their own logging
implementations. I've certainly worked on a couple of projects where
this has been the case. One of them could probably cope with the change
relatively easiliy, but such a change could be a real pain for the
other. Whilst the proportion of JCL users in this situation is probably
quite small, in terms of actual numbers, such a change could cause quite
a lot of grief.

Chris