commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:51:27 GMT
I don't think this alternative has been proposed, the additional
features could also be provided by a decorator, something like :

ExtendedLog log = new ExtendedLog(LogFactory.getLog(Foo.class));

or

ExtendedLog log = LogFactory.getExtendedLog(Foo.class));

For localization, ExtendedLog would create a LogMessage and pass it to
the log implementation. It could also add a code guard to reduce object
creations:

     public void debug(String key, Object[] params) {
         if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
             log.debug(new LogMessage(key, params));
         }
     }

For log implementations supporting i18n, the key is extracted from the
LogMessage and searched in a resource bundle. For other implementations,
LogMessage.toString() returns the key and the parameters concatenated.

Just some thoughts :) For i18n I think I like Curt's solution of parsing
the message in the implementation.

Emmanuel Bourg