commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sgarlata <sgarl...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: Enterprise Logging - API Proposal
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:05:31 GMT
Ah-hah, I understand our main disconnect now: I'm thinking in terms of
configuring logging for an overall application and you're thinking in
terms of components.  So now at least I understand where you're coming
from, but I think it's time for us to agree to disagree :)  I think
someone said earlier that perhaps part of your proposal would fit better
in Log4J or in some other logging component.  In any case, thanks for
spending so much time discussing your ideas with me.  More comments below...

Richard Sitze wrote:

>Now, were does the *component* developer 'place' this content?  I claim we
>need a standard approach for this, based on the 'resource bundle name'
>parameters we pass into the
>EnterpriseLogFactory.getEnterpriseLog(loggerName, resourceBundleName);

I think instead of the resourceBundleName we could optionally pass in a
MessageSource implementation.  That way if internationalization for a
component was dependent on a particular implementation, it could be
passed in.  If no MessageSource was passed in, we could still try
java.util.ResourceBundle and the underlying logging implementation.  I'm
sure we disagree on this point, but I just wanted to through this idea
out there :)

Matt