commons-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Lambrou <m...@chrislambrou.com>
Subject Re: [collections] InvokerClosure
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 02:34:19 GMT
Actually, I misunderstood your original suggestion a little. It's quite
late here in England!

Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> What prevents the debugging of a library 1.3 compatible with a 1.5
> source ? The line numbers don't match ?

Yeah, pretty much. But there are a number of other little things that
either wouldn't work, or would work badly.  Consider an IDE that doesn't
yet support Java 1.5 syntax (pretty common, at the moment). At best, the
syntax highlighting would look awkward in places.  But an IDE's code
parser could fail to the extent that code navigation would be impaired.
i.e. the ability to browse to a item's declaration or usage would no
longer function.  I admit it's not the end of the world. Actually, if
implemented nicely, the tool could simply expand the 1.5 syntax clauses
into 1.4 valid code, in which case the problems I've described would
largely go away.  It could well be a useful tool.

In essence, we define a subset of the 1.5 language features to be
supported, and provide a source code preprocessor that can convert this
1.5 source back to valid 1.4 source, then compile as normal.  It could
prove useful, but to be worthwhile it would have to tackle more than
just the new for loop constructs. Okay, we might not go as far as
supporting generics, but how about auto-boxing/unboxing and vararg
method declarations?  It sounds like a potentially useful side project,
run at SourceForge perhaps? My guess is that there are people out there
working on this sort of thing already, so perhaps some hunting around is
in order.

Chris