commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <sma...@lfjr.net>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Property interpolation & subsets
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:37:57 GMT
Hello Jörg, good point I didn't think about this issue I'll investigate
it. Translating the key in the interpolation method might be another
solution, I'm not sure how to do this though.

Emmanuel Bourg

Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> looking at the current implementation, I am not convinced, that the current behaviour
is intentional. Look at the case:

> defaults.client.port=8000
> client.A.dir=${java.io.tmpdir}
> client.A.url=http://client:${port}
>
> having:
>
> CompositeConfiguration globalConfig = new CompositeConfiguration();
> globalConfig.addConfiguration(ConfigurationConverter.getConfiguration(System.getProperties()));
> globalConfig.addConfiguration(readConfigWithPropertiesFromAbove);
>
> one might assume, that is is save to do:
>
> CompositeConfiguration clientConfig = new CompositeConfiguration();
> clientConfig.addConfiguration(globalConfig.subset("client.A"));
> clientConfig.addConfiguration(globalConfig.subset("defaults.client"));
>
> Now these statements are true:
>
> assertEquals("http://client:8000", clientConfig.getString("url"));
> assertEquals(8000, clientConfig.getInteger("port"));
> assertEquals("${java.io.tmpdir}", clientConfig.getString("dir"));
>
> What's the problem?
>
> As you can see, the administrator configuring the properties has to know in what scope
the interpolation will be done by the application implementation, the implementation itself
rely on the assembled subset though. The interpolation of the system property would have worked
only, if another Configuration with system properties have been added to the client configuration.

> So should the SubsetConfiguration use its parent configuration as fallback for the interpolation?
Then both cases can be handled.