commons-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:34:58 GMT
Sorry to come in on this late.  I just read the archives after Ceki
posted a link on log4j-dev.

First, I agree Enterprise is a poor name.  I tend to think in terms of
diagnostic versus administrative logging.  Diagnostic logging intended
to diagnose an issue where log requests are generally discarded (unless
actively researching a problem) and fluency with internal program
structure and with the human language used in the implementation is
assumed.  Logger names based on class names would be appropriate here
since the audience is likely familiar with the code base.

Administrative logging (in lack of a better term, but at least it is
better than Enterprise) are messages intended for a difference audience
where knowledge of internal program structure and the human language of
the implementation is not given.  These difference audiences have
resulted in different API on some platforms, for example, Windows has
OutputDebugString (for diagnostic messages) and the Event log methods
for administrative messages.  Logger names here would likely be
business process related.

There are a couple of issues with the resource bundle proposals that I
have seen previously.  I haven't had time to review those presented
here so they may or may not apply.

Resource bundle approaches are sufficiently demanding of developers
that they will likely substantially reduce the density of diagnostic
messages if only a resource bundle approach is available.

Using the locale settings of the user or system is likely inappropriate
for diagnostic messages.  A diagnostician reviewing log files or
receiving networked log messages should not be forced to read log
messages in the user's native language.  A worse case scenario would be
a internationalized web site log where the language in the log file was
constantly changing.

A log request may need to be rendered for more than one locale.  For
example, a log request may result in email messages send to multiple
recipients each in an appropriate language.

A diagnostic log may be transmitted to a location where the resource
bundles are not available.  If it still is resource based at that
point, you would require a specialized reader which would need to be
kept in sync as new messages were added.

Discarded diagnostic messages need to be very low cost.  Administrative
messages are vastly less frequent, are rarely discarded and can be
fairly expensive.

An approach that I've found to work fairly well without requiring API
modifications is the use of a localizing layout.
http://www.mail-archive.com/log4j-user@logging.apache.org/
msg00479.html) describe the use of such a layout in a project using
log4net.  If you were careful on how you constructed your messages (for
example, start with fixed content instead of variable content, did not
allow your conversions to be affected by the default locale), you could
create a fairly efficient localization mechanism by having a layout
that would match the "generic" message and transform it into an
appropriate localized content based on an external document containing
regex patterns and substitutions.

Some of advantages of this approach: no API change is necessary,
diagnostic messages are still trivial to add and fast to process, each
appender may have a different locale, localization has no cost for
discarded messages, generic language (typically english) messages are
available for messages that have not been translated (and likely most
diagnostic messages would not be), does not require customized readers.

The primary disadvantage is that is it not straightforward to ensure
that all the messages of concern have translations and that messages
that are to be localized should be designed so that they are easily
matched and parsed.

FYI: log4cxx does have a resource bundle logging API, but I have no
experience with it.