commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jakarta Commons Structure rehashed
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:13:49 GMT
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:22:12 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg <smanux@lfjr.net> wrote:
> Tim O'Brien wrote:
> > Not following this one, this implies that ASF has one trunk.  Even
> > though copies are cheap I wouldn't want to create a copy of the entire
> > SVN tree for every release.
>
> Err I thought Jakarta would have its own SVN repository, thus the trunk
> would be "Jakata-wide" and not "ASF-wide".

No, as Noel indicated, the repo is ASF-wide.

> Also I don't think we have to
> copy the entire tree when tagging/branching, the copy just the component
> tree :
>
> tags/
>     digester-1.8/
>         commons/
>             digester/
>     configuration-1.1/
>         commons/
>             configuration/

If this works, this might be a very good option. (I have no reason to
think it wouldn't work, but I don't know SVN well enough to be sure
one way or the other.) It would make it simple to check out everything
in Commons, and easy to tag and branch. The only disadvantage I can
think of is that it wouldn't be easy to get all tags and branches for
just one component, but I'm not sure I see a use case for that anyway.

--
Martin Cooper