commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <s_kitch...@paradise.net.nz>
Subject Enterprise Logging
Date Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:57:47 GMT
Hi Richard,

The class javadoc for the EnterpriseLog class states:

Please note that a specific implementation of Commons Logging can choose
to support either the simple logging interface (represented by {@link
Log}) or the advanced logging interface (represented by this
interface).  A user of a Common Logging implementation that supports
only the simple logging interface will not be able to instantiate a
<code>EnterpriseLog</code>.

Given the following code:

if ((day == saturday) || (day == sunday)) {
  EnterpriseLog log = EnterpriseLogFactory.getLog(...);
  log.error("This code doesn't work on weekends");
}

are you proposing that this code will run fine all week, then suddenly
throw a runtime error on saturday if the underlying log implementation
does not support "enterprise" logging?

While this example is a bit contrived, I can certainly envisage an app
put together with modules, one of which uses "enterprise" logging, and
is only invoked under some conditions...

Incidentally, it looks like JCL itself will throw an exception on
startup if an explicit log implementation is specified (eg via system
properties or commons-logging.properties) but that implementation cannot
be found. This is quite in contradiction to the log4j logging approach,
which is that an app should *never* fail just because logging fails. I
prefer the log4j philosophy myself...

Regards,

Simon