commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: AW: [proposal] avoiding jar version nightmares
Date Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:46:26 GMT
> Major releases, i.e. e.g. from 1.x to 2.x are there not to be backward
> compatible. Especially, I would even consider it dangerous to replace
> a 1.x version with 2.x without checks just to have a newer version.
> Semantics could have chages. Consider collections from 2. to 3. What
> was done there was perfectly alright.

If by this you are suggesting that [collections] 2 and 3 were designed to be
incompatible then you are wrong. [collections] v3 'moved' classes to new
packages, but _left_the_old_ones_deprecated_.

Some months later I discovered an unintended incompatability in
IteratorUtils.EMPTY_ITERATOR, which can be solved by migrating to the
2.1.1/3.1 combination of versions.

My point is that they were desinged to be compatible from 2 to 3.

Stephen