commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [logging] getName
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:41:55 GMT
This sounds like a good opportunity for a custom LogFactory
implementation that manages its own hierarchy of loggers, so that you
can create document-specific instances as necessary.

The way that the default LogFactory implemenation interprets the
string or class argument to the getLog() method is just that -- a
default.  You can replace it with anything you need, so you can
accomplish what you're after in this particular use case.

Craig

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:10:51 +0100, Jörg Schaible
<joerg.schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
> Shapira, Yoav wrote on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 2:40 PM:
>
> > Hi,
> > I don't know the reason, but I'm curious as to your use-case:
> > why do you need it?
>
> Basically I have a special "named" logger hierarchy, i.e. I don't use class names there,
since I have the requirement that by examinating the logs you should be able to follow the
transitions of a document processed in my application. Each document belongs to a client and
I should be able to set individual log levels for the different clients. In this case I would
like to receive in my components an existing Log object, request its name and create a sublogger
for document related entries (in fact I have also one for jobs and more may come) and use
that logger.