commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [email] batch sending (was Re: [email] Exceptions)
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:28:51 GMT
>But only having a send method in the email class could fall short of
>making the mail api easier to use. As the requirement for bulk emails
>is a common one, shouldn't there be a way to do this under commons
>email?

All I'm saying is that all the requirements I've had for bulk emails
(and I've had a few such projects) have required more than I think is
fitting for commons-email.  I've never had a need to send exactly the
same message to a list of addresses in a way which wasn't better
handled either by including the list of addresses on a single message
or by using an external mailing list management system.  If I were a
mail server admin, I'd rather have you send a single message with a
long recipient list (in the BCC if necessary) than send identical
copies of the same message over and over again.

I also think that no matter how self-evident you feel the handling
for logging and reporting are, these will be things on which other
people have other opinions.  This may be a better candidate for
sample code, either in an "examples" area of CVS, in the xdocs, or in
the Wiki.  Ultimately, I probably wouldn't veto something like this,
but I don't think it's extremely compelling either.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com