commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Pugh" <ep...@upstate.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release Chain 1.0
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:12:55 GMT
We had a similar discussion over in [configuration] prior to 1.0 over having
the Configuration interface extend Map.  It was great because you could do
all sorts of cool tricks with passing configurations into things expecting
Maps and still have the code work.  Or, an existing application that dealt
with a Map of configuration parameters would work seamlessly with the Map
derived configuration.  However, at the end of it, we felt like it ended up
polluting Configuration, adding extra methods that didn't always map to the
underlying implementation.  So we ended up keeping Configuration the way it
was and adding a MapConfiguration that did extend Map.

Could a similar approach work for Context?  Provide a standard Context and
then a MapContext sub interface that exposes the Map interface?  In my use
of Chain I haven't had a situation where I needed the extra Map provided
methods like keySet or entrySet.  But, if I did, I could just cast to
MapContext and then get them..

The other reason I wouldn't mind having Context NOT extend Map is that when
I implement my own Context, I don't want user's directly putting and getting
stuff into the context via the Map put and get methods.  I want them to use
my accessors ONLY.

At any rate, I've been using Chain for a couple days now in my project, and
am very happy to be replacing my own code with Chain!

Eric