commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [all] (reprise) links to books (and similar resources)
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:56:39 GMT
On 10 Nov 2004, at 21:44, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> the reason why the consensus moved from direct linking from a
> resources
>>> page on the site was that it might appear too much like an official
>>> recommendation which may cause frictions within the community.
>
> FWIW, although I wasn't involved in this discussion (and certainly was
> not part of "the consensus"), I disagree with the above.  As long as a
> resources page clarifies that no endorsement or preference is being
> made, and the same page is open to / inclusive of all relevant works, I
> think that's fine.  It's like the vendors page off the Jakarta home
> page.
>
> If everyone else thinks otherwise, that's fine, but just know that if
> such a consensus exists, it's at best limited to commons only, and does
> not apply to Jakarta in general (and other Apache TLPs).

at the time, struts was going through a tough time working out what to
do when some committers very strongly objected to the listing of some
books. the jakarta vendor page has also proved very difficult. a
document in cvs means has to be actively maintained by volunteers and
the content approved (passively or actively). it can be argued that
listing on an ASF page is a form of endorsement (and there's a general
wariness about endorsements amongst some...).

after long (and often painful) experience with the jakarta vendor page,
i (for one) would not volunteer to create or maintain a page for books,
so i'm probably -0 on including a page in the documentation.

opinions?

- robert