commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promote Email to Commons Proper
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:18:50 GMT
On 15 Nov 2004, at 22:04, Mark Lowe wrote:

> A little bit of a digression but I'm reading through the LGPL blurb..
>
> Can you give a bit more detail on this problem? Just as a matter or
> curiosity.

IANAL but here's my understanding of the apache concerns: the LGPL is
strongly tied to C and C++ by the technical terms it uses. how these
terms will be interpreted by the courts when used in java (or other
similar languages) is uncertain to say the least. one perfectly
reasonable reading is that (for java) the terms of the LGPL and the GPL
are identical. the ASF has (over the years) made many approaches to the
FSF asking them to address this issue but without success. therefore,
until such time that either the courts or the FSF provide the necessary
legal clarification, the ASF cannot allow such imports.

- robert