commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Reck <apa...@recks.org>
Subject Re: [io] Exact meaning of getPath, esp. on UNIX?
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:43:29 GMT
Paulo Gaspar wrote:
> And isn't it always simpler if the name of the method perfectly explains
> its functionality instead of relying on some convention?

That was exactly the reason for my previous email.
The function getPath() is already straightforward. Any element
in a file system has a path - even directories. This is no
convention, but a fact (which sometimes it needs a second
thought to grasp).

By adding getParentPath would also require renaming the sister
function to getFullParentPath... :D and in the end, no one would
understand the reason for such function names.

So again, KISS!

Cheers,
Christoph

P.S. This is my last comment to this issue, so not to inch into a
      flame thread :)