commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Reck <apa...@recks.org>
Subject Re: [io] Exact meaning of getPath, esp. on UNIX?
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:33:42 GMT
Paulo Gaspar wrote:
> To complitelly avoid  ambiguities, why not calling it "getParentPath()"
> instead?

Keep it simple...

Any file-system object (file or directory) has a name and a path
to it. The simple rule is
   fileNameAndPath := FilenameUtils.getFullPath( fileNameAndPath )
                    + File.separatorChar
                    + FilenameUtils.getName( fileNameAndPath )

                   := FilenameUtils.concat(
                          FilenameUtils.getFullPath( fileNameAndPath ),
                          FilenameUtils.getName( fileNameAndPath ) )

Is this agreable by everyone? Why compicate the matters?

Notable is that a directory itself is positioned at a path location.
Therefore
   FilenameUtils.getPath(pathToDirectory).length() < pathToDirectory.length()

Cheers,
Christoph