commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [collections] Java5.0 - Runtime exceptions or assertion errors. What's your preference?
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 03:54:42 GMT
David Graham wrote:
> The main reason not to use assertions is that they can be disabled at
> runtime, rendering them fairly useless IMO.

I think this was a fundamental goal of assertions.  I imagine that the
idea is to enable assertions during heavy development time, and disable
them once the code reaches a certain degree of stability.

The enable/disable concept is appealing to some for performance reasons.
  I think Sun claims that an assertion will have no performance cost if
they are disabled.  I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

> Personally, I would remove the null parameter checking entirely and let
 > the code throw a NPE.  The caller will see their offending method in
the stack trace.

I share your philosophy on this.  In my opinion, the redundant parameter
checking everywhere (especially for null) does more harm than good.

I like assertions, except in cases of input checking for a client
external to the application (like a web service client, for example).

I don't see the enable/disable as much of an issue.  The
RuntimeException cases are supposed to be caught during development anyway.