commons-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Lambrou <m...@chrislambrou.com>
Subject [collections] Java5.0 - Runtime exceptions or assertion errors. What's your preference?
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:09:22 GMT
Hi,

Although I've marked the subject with [collections], I guess this is
targeted at anyone who has an interest in a Java 5.0 port of any jakarta
project. I'm slowly chipping away at a Java 5.0 port of
commons-collections.  As I've been generifying the original collections
classes, I've found apart from a little bit of tidying here and there,
I've mostly been leaving the argument checking code at the start of most
constructors and/or factory methods alone.  It's just occured to me that
all of these checks are explicit checks that throw some subclass of
RuntimeException. For example:

    protected ClosureTransformer(Closure<? super E> closure)
    {
        if (closure == null) {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("Closure must not be null");
        }
        this.closure = closure;
    }

Since JDK1.4, the assert keyword has been available to replace this type
of error checking, but obviously it's not been used in collections in
order to maintain backwards compatibility with earlier versions of the
JDK.  With the move to Java 5.0, backwards compatibility is no longer a
concern, and I'm considering replacing all such runtime argument checks
with assertions. For example:

    protected ClosureTransformer(Closure<? super E> closure)
    {
        assert closure != null : "Closure must not be null";
        this.closure = closure;
    }

I've heard both sides of the explict-check-and-RuntimeException versus
Assertions argument before in what feels like the dim and distant past,
but the discussion has always included the backwards compatibility
slant.  I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the matter in
light of Java 5.0

Chris

P.S.  If anyone's interested, the JDK 1.5 port of collections is
currently hosted on SourceForge at http://collections15.sourceforge.net
- I'd be interested in any feedback, particularly on the new generic
interfaces in the main package.