commons-dev mailing list archives

From Scott <sc...@minutestopost.com>
Subject Re: [email] Steps prior to graduating from Sandbox
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:29:14 GMT
Hi,

Eric Pugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I started updating the Status.html doc.   I wanted to make sure we have a
> consensus on steps prior to proposing to graduate from the sandbox:
>
> 1) Remove commons-validator.
> 2) Verify unit tests (dumbster) run on *NIX boxes
> 3) Documentation enhancements?
>
> Does this look good?
>
> Eric

I'm not sure about the normal criteria for things to move out of the
sandbox, but here are my thoughts on things:
1. SimpleEmail - works well, easy to use
2. MultipartEmail - not as easy to use, very flexible
3. HtmlEmail - still broken. if, for instance, you create an html email
with 2 embedded jpeg files, you end up with this structure:

multipart/related
     text/html
     image/jpeg
     image/jpeg
     text/plain

which will not display properly with many email clients. we really want:

multipart/alternative
     text/plain
     multipart/related
         text/html
         image/jpeg
         image/jpeg

or, if there are email attachments, something like:

multipart/mixed
     multipart/alternative
         text/plain
         multipart/related
             text/html
             image/jpeg
             image/jpeg
     attachment1-content-type
     attachment2-content-type

I'll try to come up with a patch that addresses this. Again, I'm not
sure if this affects the decision to move commons-email out of sandbox,
but I thought it was worth mentioning. Also, its nice to see the all of
the recent work on the project :), thanks!

Scott