commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lowe <mel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promote Email to Commons Proper
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:51:24 GMT
I had a read of the LGPL, a lawyer but linking is mentioned.

"When a program is linked with a library, whether statically or using
a shared library, the combination of the two is legally speaking a
combined work, a derivative of the original library. The ordinary
General Public License therefore permits such linking only if the
entire combination fits its criteria of freedom. The Lesser General
Public License permits more lax criteria for linking other code with
the library.."

Now just find out what they mean by "criteria of freedom".