commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Stansberry <bes_commons_...@yahoo.com>
Subject logging: WeakHashtable
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:40:24 GMT
Hi Robert,

Had a little time to look at the WeakHashtable.  Much cleaner w/o reflection!

A couple things occurred to me as I looked.

1)  The instances of Referenced are not cleared from the underlying table if their underlying
references are cleared.
2)  Passing null keys/values to put() does not result in a NPE.

I attached a patch to the WeakHashtableTest that tests for these.

One thought on #1 is to make Referenced a subclass of WeakReference instead of a wrapper.
 You can then keep a ReferenceQueue and poll it to remove cleared references from the hashtable
whenever get() is called.  This is similar to what WeakHashMap does.

Best,

Brian Stansberry