commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bug report normalization
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:21:20 GMT
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:54:50 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg <smanux@lfjr.net> wrote:
> Hi all, my apologies for the Bugzilla spam, I normalized the summaries
> for all open bug reports (except the jelly ones). The summaries are now
> prefixed with the component name, this should help filtering the mails
> sent to the list by Bugzilla.

I'm sure this has done wonders for the utility of the mailing list archives...

If you really had to do this, it would have been a much better idea to
request that the mailer for Bugzilla changes was turned off while you
did it. Who knows how many poor individuals have been spammed with
off-list notifications just because they were kind enough to submit
bug reports?

Worse is the fact that these changes do nothing to solve the problem
going forward. Most people will still submit bug reports without the
component in the subject. The real solution would be to modify the
template used for sending out the messages in the first place, so that
the component name is included. Of course, if we do this now, the
component name would be included in the subject twice...

--
Martin Cooper