commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promote Resources to Commons Proper
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:24:56 GMT
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:09:41 +0000 (GMT), Stephen Colebourne
<scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> -0
>
> I haven't been involved with this project at all,
> however I haven't had any impression of there being an
> active community working with the component. In fact,
> I can't remember seeing any emails about [resources]
> except for lots of failed gump reports (which
> indicates a lack of maintainance to me).

The core functionality in Resources was complete some time ago, with
properties file and XML implementations. We (meaning James Mitchell ;)
started to add database implementations, but fell foul of the LGPL /
Java issues, so those implementations were moved out of the ASF. Since
the core implementation was completed, I suspect there has actually
been more discussion of this component on the Struts mailing lists
than here, since the core is really just "done". Being done, it really
should be published as such, so that other projects and users who need
a release can rely on one. Promoting Resources out of the sandbox is
the first step in that process.

> If I get time, I may research to see if my memory is
> accurate, because if so I may change my vote to -1.
> Perhaps you could clarify who the users of this are,
> and why now is the time to promote it?

The immediate user of Resources will be Struts 1.3. The Struts
community has been discussing switching to this component for a long
time. We just branched our 1.2 development so that we can start on
1.3, hence the renewed push to bring Resources to the world.

In the meantime, I am aware that a number of people have picked up
Resources independent of Struts and are using it in production. I'm
assuming it "just works" for them, since, as you noted, there isn't
much traffic on the lists.

I do believe that there will be more direct interest in this component
once it is in use in Struts, but Struts is by no means the sole
consumer for a component such as this.

--
Martin Cooper