commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Chain 1.0
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:14:11 GMT
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:37:27 +1300, Simon Kitching
<simon@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 20:39, Martin Cooper wrote:
> > This sounds like an enhancement request to me. Are you really
> > suggesting that Chain should not be released until your specific
> > enhancement is endorsed and incorporated into the component? I'm
> > afraid I, for one, can't sign up for that.
>
> I think Matt's comment was entirely reasonable. The whole point of a 1.0
> release is to "freeze" the API. If the API isn't right, then people
> certainly should speak up *before* the API freeze.

You're right, of course.

> Of course it is better to speak up well before then if possible, but a
> release proposal is bound to prompt people to get around to voicing that
> concern they have had kicking around in the back of their mind for a
> while. Anyone raising the prospect of a release should be expecting this
> sort of thing.

I was (over)reacting to exactly that. Chain was promoted out of the
sandbox almost 6 months ago, so seeing such a fundamental change being
proposed at this point was a bit like a bolt from the blue.

Matt, I apologise for jumping down your throat.

> It looks to me, as an outsider, like the concensus is that the existing
> interface *is* ok, but as a commons committer I hope that everyone will
> give it serious consideration, and not ignore it as "too late". It is
> perfectly valid to change APIs before 1.0 (keeping compatibility is
> *desirable* but not mandatory). It's certainly better than being stuck
> with the wrong API post-1.0.

Agreed. I have first hand experience of dealing with a poor API being
exposed in a release...

--
Martin Cooper