commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Chain 1.0
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:37:27 GMT
Hi Martin,

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 20:39, Martin Cooper wrote:
> This sounds like an enhancement request to me. Are you really
> suggesting that Chain should not be released until your specific
> enhancement is endorsed and incorporated into the component? I'm
> afraid I, for one, can't sign up for that.

I think Matt's comment was entirely reasonable. The whole point of a 1.0
release is to "freeze" the API. If the API isn't right, then people
certainly should speak up *before* the API freeze.

Of course it is better to speak up well before then if possible, but a
release proposal is bound to prompt people to get around to voicing that
concern they have had kicking around in the back of their mind for a
while. Anyone raising the prospect of a release should be expecting this
sort of thing.

It looks to me, as an outsider, like the concensus is that the existing
interface *is* ok, but as a commons committer I hope that everyone will
give it serious consideration, and not ignore it as "too late". It is
perfectly valid to change APIs before 1.0 (keeping compatibility is
*desirable* but not mandatory). It's certainly better than being stuck
with the wrong API post-1.0.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message