commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: logging: WeakHashtable
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:32:55 GMT
i've commit the patch of the 15th (with a few minor changes). thanks.

this means that the value is (effectively) held by a hard reference
whilst the key is held by a weak. this should address the narrow issue
of the most typical use case. i think that probably the code could be
improved by eliminating some unnecessary complexity but that'll have to
wait till tomorrow.

one interesting feature of garbage collectors (which foxed me for a
while) is that there doesn't seem to be any guarantee as to when the
reference is placed onto the queue. (at least i can't find one: if
anyone knows different please jump in.) on the (macOSX) JVM i use, it
appears that the reference is placed onto the queue late enough to
cause one of the tests to fail. placing a hard loop that polls for the
released reference to be placed on another queue results in the test
passing...

- robert