commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Sgarlata" <matt.sgarl...@spiderstrategies.com>
Subject Re: [convert] a different approach...
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 06:54:31 GMT
> make sure you add a link to the wiki so everyone can find morph :)

Done to the best of my ability.  I apologize in advance if I abused the Wiki
in any way!

> i don't see any real harm announcing releases and stuff on the mailing
> lists though it'd probably be wiser not to phrase any posts so as not
> raise the temperature unnecessary. (it's a temptation when you're the new
> project on the block to push general claims of superiority but often it's
> better to focus on individuality: what the project does better)

Thanks for the pointers and the invitation to post release notices :)  I'm
hoping for a 0.3 release this weekend that will have a revised API.

> JSTL (see EL), JEXL, XPath, velocity, jelly (and many, many more projects)
> all contain bean query languages. there are a lot of different approaches.
> one of the real pains with beanutils is that the  bean query language is
> deeply embedded in the component and cannot be easily changed. it became
> clear whilst working on beanutils that really one bean query language (no
> matter how good) really isn't suitable for all use cases.
>
> the key is getting the right level of abstraction for the bean query
> language: close enough to take advantage of features in the introspection
> layer but abstract enough to allow radically different query languages to
> be used.

I'll try to keep this advice in mind, and I will definitely seek your advice
once I have thought this through some more.  Thanks again for your help!

> - robert

Matt