commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [lang] JodaTime - was Commons Lang DateRange/Duration classes
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:40:29 GMT
Looking back in history, there have been various occaisions when this should
have happened. The trouble is that now it is a recognised product other
factors come into play:

1) ASF policy on everything going via the Incubator - this stuffs me
basically. JodaTime is the work primarily of two people, Brian S ONeill and
I. To get into ASF we would have to pass lots of tests of community
viability, mentoring, documentation, license assignment, ...................
Frankly the beaurocracy of even considering it seems pointless. *

2) Existing users - I'm about to do a 1.0 of JodaTime in its current
package, because its way overdue

3) Package name change/Brand name change - actually I'm not too worried
about this

4) Commons-Time - Does a 450k jar file, time-'framework' belong in commons.
But its too small to be an ASF top level project.

5) Would any other ASF people contribute to it just because I brought it to
ASF? Would the code be better?

Stephen

* Note that this worries me about ASF in general, although I'm not convinced
everyone actually plays by the rules