commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dion Gillard <dion.gill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jelly] XMLOutput.data(Object)
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:23:09 GMT
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:18:50 +0200, Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> wrote:
> Gee... I was really thinking this was obvious... hence the relatively
> undetailed descriptions.

Obviously it isn't for me. It seems to me that you want to use
XMLOutput to pass data around, even though it's currently a
'write-only' object, i.e. there's no way of getting of data back out
of it.

> - XMLoutput objects are exchanged as part of the doTag nested calls.
> Therefore it is easy for something aimed at "receiving data" to create
> an XMLOutput object that does something just for the data() call, and
> passes-through for the rest.
> This way a tag can receive a return value.
> There's no way to do so with the context except delicate hacks and
> fragile naming-conventions.

Sounds like hand-waving. Obviously tags return values, e.g. the set tag.

> - The objects being exchanged aren't meant ot be stored. They are part
> of the process... i.e. when I write
> <math:determinant>
>   <math:product>
>    <math:matrix>xxx</math:matrix>
>    <math:matrix>xxx</math:matrix>
>   </math:product>
> </math:determinant>
> I am not storing the matrix of the product, I'm just passing it around.

Isn't the context for passing stuff around?

> - to me, it makes loads of sense to have tags that transform their
> output... and that should apply to object-data as well. (so that adding
> a constraint in jelly-swing would be simply a transformation)

Tags that transform their own output? Or output from nested tags?

> - another fancy feature: the result of a bsf or beanshell script could
> be fed using this data() function... and thus used (it is currently
> only used when setting a variable)
>
> At least, to me, it is the only way for a component child, like a swing
> button, to talk flexibly to a component container, without manually
> walking the hierarchy.

Hmmm. *Only* way seems to be a little exaggerated. Can't the component
have it's parent set at some time later?