commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [chain] Configuration idea
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:00:20 GMT
At 10:27 AM -0500 10/21/04, Joe Germuska wrote:
>At 10:31 AM -0400 10/21/04, Sean Schofield wrote:
>>I had an idea about how we could improve the default configuration of
>>commons-chain.  It would be nice if we could have the following
>>catalog.xml:
>>
>><catalog>
>>   <chains>
>>     <chain name="foobar.chain">
>>       <command name="foo" className="Foo"/>
>>       <command name="bar" className="Bar"/>
>>     </chain>
>>     <chain name="biz.chain">
>>       <chain name="foobar.chain">
>>       <command name="biz" className="Biz"/>
>>     </chain>
>>   </chains>
>></catalog>
>
>I think it's basically a good idea, although I'd want a different
>attribute for references; reusing "name" with the same element and
>different semantics would be pretty confusing.
>
>How about "ref"?
>
>     <chain name="biz.chain">
>       <chain ref="foobar.chain">
>       <command name="biz" className="Biz"/>
>     </chain>

Craig has since responded on this issue pointing out that it can be
done.  However, I have had in the back of my head a bit of a nagging
concern that the XML syntax for commons-chain is verbose, if not
confusing.   Then again, I haven't set out to make a new chain myself
yet, so I don't have a good feel about just how serious the issue is.

So, Craig -- would you object to something like the above, which is
more concise, even though there is another way to do it?  How about
anyone else who has been interested in Chain?  Is it too early to
optimize the config syntax?

Joe
--
Joe Germuska