commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 06:59:53 GMT
a few comments:

1 in the sandbox, anything goes.

2 if i18n depends on xmlio then xmlio needs to promoted and released
before i18n is. so, it's important that xmlio has a good chance of
being promoted and that any possible issues are discussed now.

3 alternatives are good but direct competitors are bad. we are short of
developer energy here in the commons and components in the same area
should share a community and coorperate rather than fight for mind
share. fights for mind share between direct open source competitors can
turn very nasty. we've (so far) managed to keep quite a healthy
community here in the commons and i'm very keen to keep it this way.
therefore, saying that xmlio needs a place in the commons because it's
better than digester does make me worried. in the past, components
pushed in this manner have tended to end up finding homes elsewhere.

4 users are going to ask: should i use digester (betwixt, JXPath,
xmlbeans, jaxme) or xmlio? we should be able to clearly and fair
describe and explain the differences if we are going to have two
components. if digester and xmlio really are direct competitors (no
substantial conceptual or philosophical differences, just
implementation ones) then it would be better to rename xmlio digester 2
(packaged under the org.apache.commons.digester2). digester (1) is
mature now and it's not really possible to push it much further. work
on a combined digester 1 replacement could then start as digester 3
(packaged under rg.apache.commons.digester3).

- robert