commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Licensing
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:33:00 GMT

On 7 Oct 2004, at 15:58, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:

> Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> writes:
>> IMHO, it is a real "must read" for everyone that writes and especially
>> uses open source. Funnily enough, many of the points that she raises
>> don't apply to the ASF.
>
> Hmm... I might disagree with that one. For example, I don't know many
> newbie users who could single-handedly set-up and configure the Apache
> web server with Tomcat without encountering a few problems.

hmm...

not sure that that's a very good example.

AIUI interoperation with apache HTTPD was never really a primary goal
of tomcat (and was left to secondary sub-projects). jserv is the ASF
project which fills that gap. IIRC as a very green newbie, i found
jserv really easy to install and integrate with apache HTTPD.

> Also, some ASF projects have very skimpy documentation in places.

i'd go as far as saying most. but (once a project's been around long
enough) there are usually enough books and articles to make up for this
deficit. it interests me that academic licensed project seem to make up
for lack of technical documentation by the quantity of published hard
copy.

- robert