commons-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hoschek <whosc...@lbl.gov>
Subject Re: [math] Matrix subMatrix and mean methods
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:12:15 GMT
Hi, let me briefly introduce myself. I'm the author of Colt which has
the BSD-style license you referred to below.

I encourage you to take code or ideas from Colt, as you see fit, and as
you see compatible with Apache licensing policy.
I wrote this code some six years ago while working at CERN, so the
copyright is not with me personally, but with CERN
(http://www.cern.ch). I have left CERN some years ago to work for a Bay
Area research lab, so I consider it unlikely that the license could be
changed, and I'm not in a position to help change the license, even
though I would support such a license change. In my judgement, you will
have to decide if the current license works for you, or not. If it
works for you, you are most welcome.

As far as Jama is concerned, the code is a straightforward adaption of
the original Jama code, as explained on
http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt/api/cern/colt/matrix/linalg/package-
summary.html#Overview
You could contact the Jama authors for licensing issues.

Hope this helps,
Wolfgang.